Love , love , love Jean-Michel Basquiat. I think the first time I actually heard about him as an artist was about 6 years ago when I was a 7th grader. At my school every year they have an assembly for the art department and one of the teachers talked all about Basquiat's art. I am almost positive it was when I was in 7th grade because I've slept in just about every other art assembly but I was too young to get so comfortable in the 7th grade! Basquiat's art is so simple but yet such an "enigma" it really makes me stretch my mind as a viewer. All of his pieces are sort of interconnected, whether he depicts social justice or family origin in his art, they all simultaneously paint the path to his death (overdose on drugs). And I think during his battle with drugs, his paintings really capture what exactly was going through his head and troubling him. I have so much respect for him as an artist, he is definitely one of my favorites.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment