Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Simplicity of Love







Earlier this morning my mom and my sisters were watching an episode of Unsung: Minnie Ripperton. I didn't feel at all like sitting and joining their family bonding time because I'm just anti all of that. So, I stayed in my kitchen and watched what I could of the episode. Firstly, I grew up on this song. I remember singing this song with my mom when I was much more younger and cuter and lovable . Lol. Thanks to youtube, the Unsung episode wasn't the first time I witnessed this actual video, but it gave me a reminder about the bliss Minnie sang about. I mean, I'm young... I've never experienced this blind trusting love that she emphasizes about. Terms like "soul", "love", "making love" and being so "in love" that your moved to ad-lib to the like 8th octaval? Nope. All those words are empty meanings to me. I have NO idea what that's about. But damn, I really hope this beauty of love still exists. I hope its just my naivety. I hope its just that I'm still youthful and not that the world has altered, generations have changed the concept of "love", because Minnie's idea of "love" is the one I want to be in. Not having sex, but making love. But what can you do? I mean, my ipod has songs about "making love", songs that I do enjoy listening to, but to me, I feel as though concept of LOVE has changed. For instance, right now I'm listening to Cadillac Love by Lloyd, I love this song, its sweet, its soft, its 'lusty' but is that the best way he can express making love? "Hittin" this shawty up in the back of the caddy? So, now I'm thinking, well is this how R&B and Hip Hop artists choose to portray their idea of making love?

1.) When We Make Love- Ginuwine
2.) Make Good Love- Avant
3.) I need Love- Robin Thicke

Okay, so all these songs have the same smooth sounding lyrics and maintain a more beautiful conception of "love". I simply searched the word "LOVE" in my iTunes library and found these. Now sex...

1.) I want Sex - Lil Boosie
2.) Sex in The Kitchen - R.Kelly
3.) Sex in The Daytime- Pretty Willie

Lol, this is just so funny to me. The lyrics of the "making love" search are SO different from the "sex" search, but yet these terms are supposed to be equivalent? In the latter choice, sex sounds so... figurative and not beautiful. Like something you just HAVE to do. Like its a job that just needs to get done, time is an element, location is an element, things just need to get...done. I don't know how I feel about that. Its also ironic how all these songs are by men, sure songs by female artists came up in my search, but from them, "Love" was a "dangerous" and "wreckless" force. Lord, I don't even know what my point is, I wasn't intending to talk about the birds and the bees, but shit.

A couple of days ago I was watching The Temptations movie with my friend and I told him that I wish I lived back in those days. Where men genuinely appreciated women and expressed their appreciation in a more poignant and satisfying way. He then challenged me and said, well if their was a man who was talking to you like that and had that whole mindset and then there was me, who would you choose. I was stuck in a pickle, but I said, "Well that's not fair... I mean, I would choose you, but I would want him to be my bestfriend." Never liked the "nice guy" thing, it just isn't appealing to me. I need a man who could make me feel like a woman, I'm aggresive but he should be the aggressor. I hate the feeling of being able to push someones buttons and have complete control over them. But there is something so complimentary and soothing about the "Temptations man", the Good guy, the breath of fresh air that makes me dance between my two ideas of what a man should be. Anyways this whole entry is FAR from my original point, so excuse the condescending and scattered thoughts. I just hope that the love that is easy because of the beauty in love still exists, somewhere out in this world, and I hope that I will be able to find it from a man who is in touch with his feelings but can still be my man.
(To be continued... a lot of unfinished thoughts...)

No comments:

Post a Comment